Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Curriculum of Choice

For those of you who think teaching your own children is impossible without a teaching degree, let me assure you that is a misconception. There is a wealth of material out there that parents can choose from: complete curriculum sets, with detailed directions on everything to say, word for word, in every subject imaginable, to general guidelines and suggested reading lists. I hesitate to say absolutely anyone could do it, but really, almost anyone could. A college degree is not necessary, I promise you. Besides the many choices of great curriculum, in our area of the country, we are blessed with numerous cooperative programs with classes for higher level language or math that homeschoolers can take, if their parents are less-than-comfortable instructing them in physics, for example, and support groups are numerous. I never feel alone in this educational process and am so thankful!

For the current school year, beyond math and phonics from ABeka, we'll refer to these books often as part of the core curriculum I've chosen to put together. Our guide is
Ambleside Online, based on Charlotte Mason's concept of using "living books" to teach and the Bible as the ultimate source of all wisdom. As she recommends as well, we're enjoying learning through nature and experiences, and we'll use a few basic textbooks that offer some great goals and interesting experiments too.

I don't know if we'll always use a hodge-podge of curriculum like this year with Bob Jones and ABeka books, but I do hope we always use the basic CM method, since I think she was so right about her focus on great quality literature, learning through getting out and experiencing nature and life, and the basis of all truth being the Bible.

Other things we're delving into slowly, but surely, are sign language and beginning Spanish. We're using online curriculum for Spanish and flash cards and an awesome video series for sign language. Our main music focus is beginning piano lessons with Mama too. I'm excited to find some more time to play and encourage my musical kids to pursue learning this instrument I love so much.

OUR YEAR-LONG READING BOOKS:

The Bible
We're studying main stories and characters in the Old Testament right now and learning Scripture monthly. We're memorizing the books of the Bible, and the themes of each also.

The Burgess Bird Book for Children
by Thornton Burgess
We'll be studying birds in our region during different seasons, and learning how to identify them and distinguish their calls.

Science 1
by BJU Press
We're covering all sorts of interesting topics in science, including: our senses, the solar system, how things work, plants and flowers, tame and wild animals, properties of matter, heat, sound, and air, weather, and how to be good stewards of the earth God has given us.

The Aesop for Children
by Milo Winter
We're learning great morals from these stories about animals who face different choices and dilemmas.

The Blue Fairy Book
by Andrew Lang
These fun fairy tales also teach us some great values.

The Treasury for Children
by James Herriot
The beloved British vet's stories have always been a favorite of mine, and our kids love them already.

Parables from Nature
by Margaret Gatty
These true-to-life anecdotes about creatures in nature teach us about their habitats and personalities and also show us how we should learn to behave from their examples.

Heritage Studies - the New World
by BJU Press
During history this year, we're covering the discovery of America and what life was like for the early settlers. We'll also learn about their relationship with Native Americans.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey- on those books...here's a couple of things i found that might help..Parables from nature did nothing for matt last year..over his head or boring, i guess..we'll try again next year..and I highly recommend the church history book, Trial and Triumph...We just read the stories from our time period for MAFA each year, but they are really eye-opening for all of us.

Tanya said...

Just a thought as I read you are venturing into sign language...I have a good friend who's parents are deaf. They highly recommend the "Signing Time" videos for accurate teaching of ASL. Let me know if what you are using is any good. I would love to learn more. (Also, I think Signing Time comes on public TV at 7a or 7:30a on Saturdays and Sundays.)